Fried Green Tomatillos
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 8 tomatillos, husked and sliced, 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Place egg whites in a shallow bowl. In a separate shallow bowl, mix together cornmeal, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Dip tomatillo slices in egg whites, then submerge in cornmeal mixture turning to coat both sides.
- Fry tomatillo slices 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Be careful not to over cook; tomatillos should be tender, but not totally softened.
- Serve immediately.