To make your own pumpkin puree, choose a small and flavorful "pie" pumpkin. A medium-sized (about 4 pounds) pumpkin will yield about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of cooked puree. Use this puree in any recipe calling for canned pumpkin. Pumpkin puree is delicious in pies, soups, muffins and sauces.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Grease a rimmed baking sheet.
- Cut pumpkin in half vertically and scoop out pulp and seeds.
- Place the two halves on the prepared baking sheet, cut-side down, and cover loosely with foil.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours, or until tender.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool until easy to handle.
- With a spoon, scoop out flesh and puree in a food processor or mash with a potato masher.
- Refrigerate up to 5 days, or freeze up to 6 months.
- Makes approximately 1 1/2 to 2 cups.