Pumpkin Leek Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large leeks, white part only, cleaned, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups pumpkin purée
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven, heat butter and sauté the leeks for 8-12 minutes on low heat, stirring often.
- Leeks should be soft and lightly golden.
- Add the thyme, nutmeg, salt, pepper, pumpkin purée, chicken broth and brown sugar.
- Stir, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Add half-and-half and heat through.
- Serve garnished with sour cream and chives.
- Serves 6.