Italian Turkey and Sausage Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 6 cups turkey or chicken broth
- One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 cup baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add bell pepper, onion, garlic, basil and fennel seeds and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover pot and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini, carrots and celery; simmer 15 minutes.
- Add spinach, sausage and turkey and cook until heated through, 3-5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.
- Serves 4-6.