Tuna with Lime Pepper Crust
- 4 tuna steaks (3/4-1-inch thick, about 6 oz. each)
- 1 lime
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1-2 tsp. vegetable oil
- Rinse the tuna steaks and pat dry with paper towels.
- Grate the zest from the lime (you should have about 1 1/2 tsp.), then squeeze the juice and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime zest, thyme, pepper, and salt; stir to mix.
- Lightly rub both sides of the tuna steaks with oil and set on a broiler pan. Sprinkle the tops of the steaks evenly with about half of the lime zest mixture and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler and set the rack 2 to 3 inches from the heat source.
- For medium done steaks, broil the tuna for 1 to 2 minutes, turn and sprinkle with the remaining lime zest mixture. Continue broiling until just pink in the center (cut to test), 1 or 2 minutes longer.
- For well-done steaks, broil about 3 minutes on each side.
- Do not overcook the tuna or the meat will become dry and lose its flavor.
- Pour the lime juice over the tuna steaks right after you take them from the oven, then serve.