Fresh Tomato Sauce
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Pinch vrushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel tomatoes by scoring the skin of each tomato with a sharp knife (do not cut too deep).
- Drop scored tomatoes into a pot of boiling water and boil for approximately 1 minute.
- Remove tomatoes and plunge into cold water.
- Peel and dice tomatoes and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan.
- Add onion and sauté 1-2 minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic and crushed red pepper and sauté 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and cook 5-8 minutes, until thickened.
- Add chopped parsley, basil, salt and pepper.
- Makes about 3 cups.