- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon + 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 12 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup flour
- Whipped cream, optional for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish.
- Arrange berries in a single layer in prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with almonds and 1 tablespoon sugar. Set aside.
- Combine 1 cup sugar and eggs in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Add butter, vanilla and almond extract and stir until well combined.
- Add flour and stir until batter is smooth.
- Spoon batter evenly over the berry mixture and bake 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in cake only comes out clean.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
- Serves 4-6.